April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month
Get screened today!
April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month which includes cancer of the mouth, tongue, tonsil or throat. Risk factors for oral cancer include a long term use of tobacco and alcohol as well as exposure to the HPV-16 virus (human papilloma virus version 16) which is also responsible for a large majority of cervical cancers in women.
Cancers of the mouth are the most preventable. Ways you can reduce your risk of oral cancer include:
– Avoid tobacco in all forms.
– Consume alcohol in moderation.
– Practice safety in the sun by limiting your exposure and wear SPF
– Remove your dentures every night and clean them daily
– Visit your dentist for your routine exams and cleanings
Most importantly, oral exams will help detect any signs or symptoms of oral cancer. At Frankel Dentistry, we provided oral cancer screenings with your exam. If you wear dentures, we are able to evaluate them to ensure they are in good condition.
Please help spread the word and help educate your family and friends about oral cancer this month.