May is Family Wellness Month AND Mental Health Month.
Your physical health is just as important as your mental health! This month we are sharing healthy habits to encourage a healthier lifestyle for you and your family!
- Get outside! A little summer sunshine can go a long way. Chances are you’ve spent the winter tucked away and Vitamin D deprived. Take a family walk or bike ride in the evening, visit a new park or trail, walk the dog daily, and be sure to take in the sunshine and fresh air.
- Try a healthy new recipe. Pick a night to cook a healthy meal with your family. This is a great way to spend quality time together while still being productive. This is also an opportunity to teach children the importance of a balanced diet and trying new foods.
- Practice mindfulness. This is an opportunity to help your children understand the importance of mental health. Simply reflect on the day you’ve had or situations which have left your little ones with certain emotions. Help them discover “why” they feel the emotions they do. Also, try a five minute meditation or positive affirmations. Encourage your children to highlight their favorite things about themselves to promote self esteem!
- Find a self care routine. Help your loved ones find a way they love to care for themselves, this could be taking time for a skin care routine, workout routine, an oral care routine, or nighttime cooldown routine. This is time for you all to relax yet still be productive towards your health.
- Practice oral health! A healthy mouth promotes a healthy body. Teaching your kids healthy oral habits at a young age can help ensure a beautiful, life lasting smile. Brush, floss, rinse, visit Dr. Frankel and repeat!
- Connect with one another. Good relationships are important for your mental wellbeing. It never hurts to remind your family how much they mean to you and the impact they’ve made on your life.